Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Making your mark

As I flew across from Sydney to Adelaide this morning, I was struck by the variation of colour evident on the ground (reflecting different soil types and climactic conditions), and also the evidence of human activity nearly everywhere.

Having grown up on a farm, I guess I’ve always known it: human beings are incredibly adaptable and resilient.

My father came to Australia in 1950. They scratched an existence out of the bush, without a decent house to live in, with no tar roads, with no running water or electricity.

And they survived. They stuck at it. They believed that coming to Australia would work.

And in the end, it did – with lots of sweat, blood and tears.

Whenever I visit the bush I’m struck by people’s resourcefulness. It’s amazing how the drive to survive and succeed can cause people to ride out so many droughts, bushfires, floods – and still leave their mark.

No comments: