Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A really good day

I had a really good day today. A 'good' day generally only requires a few positive ingredients; a 'really good' day requires a few more.

Today brought:

-My birthday! (Okay, bittersweet. Now 33 and pushing out the greys.)

-A new woollen jumper! Yay!

-The continuation of what's been a good month of business for me

-A chocolate Freddo

-Philippians chapter 2

-A brief catch-up with some friends

-Some appointments for my trip to Launceston tomorrow and Friday

-A big 'welcome home' from Caelan, who ran to greet me (and then tripped over, smacking his forehead on a concrete step)

-A delightful dinner with my wife (prawns and tagliotelle with a lovely 'Meeting Place' champagne)

-Coffee and cheesecake for dessert

-Garbage collection night! Yay!

-A warm bed to sleep in

-My nightly blog

I'm off to Tassie tomorrow for some business and the funeral of a friend. While I love going to Tassie, I miss my family, and I will certainly miss this friend who has been a part of almost all our visits to Tassie.

So today is a day I have relished. I was hoping to share a couple of beers with my neighbour this evening (which would have topped it off), but he was a busy. Nevertheless, he was kind enough to come around and leave me with some Gaymers Original Cider. Good neighbour, this one. And no, I'm not sharing him - get your own beer-giving neighbour!

What does a 'good day' look like to you? And how much does it involve a certain quality of engagement with other people?

2 comments:

Jim said...

I am spending the day with Jeff in front of the fire today. That's all it takes ............ A really good day!

Adriaan said...

You trumped me there, Jim.

You're quite right. Sometimes it's just the simple things that make a day memorable for years to come.