Thursday, August 21, 2008

Behind the wheel of nostalgia


You are probably aware from a previous post that my boss is a Packard junkie.

Today he came with me to Canberra for some business. After we'd finished work, we stopped in on a friend of his to collect some Packard parts.

Did I think we would walk away from this exchange in 20 minutes? No chance. I think it was about 3 1/2 hours later we got away. When you've got a wife and children waiting at home, and you're beginning to come down with the flu, this is not ideal.

But there was a consolation prize: this guy has a seriously cool collection of old Packards and ancient motorcycles (at least 35 motorbikes - I lost count), and is generous with his knowledge and helpfulness.

It was very kind of him to offer me a drive of his 1953 Packard Clipper. Though I know very little about Packards, this was a bit of a special moment for me. You see, my dad and mum used to own one of these cars - a four-door like this one. The first time my boss interviewed me for the job, this Packard connection came up, and he knew already that I came from honourable stock.

The annals of family history will always record the day my mother cooked the head of its straight-8 motor while driving up the hill from Gosford to Kariong. From there, the Packard was relegated to a shed before being snapped up by 'The Golden Tonsils' who is notorious for his love of vintage cars.

To sit behind the wheel and cruise along in this vintage beauty was a special thing - like reaching back in time and touching a piece of family history.

I know a few years ago that Lawsie sold off a lot of his vintage cars, including the Packard which he bought from my dad. I wonder where it is now? It would be nice to see this car again in the flesh sometime, restored to its former glory.

Have you had any of these experiences as well, where connecting with an object or a place connects you with your past?

No comments: