Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A good [self] talking to

There are times in life when people close to us say things that both wound us and urge us along.

Today was, for me, one of those times. And the person doing the talking was me. To me.

There are some areas in my work that I've been wanting to grow in. And today, working alone at home, was the time when I drew a line in the sand.

There's never a dull day at work, or one that drags. There's always plenty to do. But as the old saying goes, we've gotta learn to work smarter not harder. That was today's challenge to myself: to work in a way that absolutely maximises my impact.

And so it was a matter of saying, 'Who am I?', 'What is my role?', 'What makes me effective in it?', 'What holds me back from being the best I can possibly be in my role?', and 'How might I continue to press forward into being the best I can be?'

A short manifesto and one rousing speech later, the agenda was laid down. I got some stuff off my chest, and then got into the rest of the day's business - with a clearer mind and a more contented heart.

It was a really good day, and I even managed to get a lamb stew cooking for dinner in there as well - and bought a nice bottle of Coonawarra Cab Sauv / Shiraz to go with it.

The perfect way to finish a very satisfying day!

No comments: