Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sideways, Miss Jane

Today we spent a little time (and I do mean a little time – we have two small boys) wandering through the National Gallery of Australia.

The objects of our interest were the works of Turner, Monet, and a bunch of other dead French-Dutch-American-Australian landscape artists.

I’d love to talk about the art, but my ignorance would show rather badly. Anyone heard of a guy called Van-goff?

Moving on, I leave you instead with this photo taken outside in the Sculpture Garden near Bert Flugelman's Cones. I call it ‘Sideways, Miss Jane’.

It reveals the deep landscape of the human face, Picasso-fied by my camera angle. I was struck by the realism of the piece, especially the careful placement of the lingua. The artist is unknown.

Here endeth the art lesson.

No comments: