Monday, May 26, 2008

Not Chance

My firm conviction is that the things people often dismiss as “lucky” or “co-incidental” are evidence that the Designer who is in control of the universe is working in our lives. Let me give you a few examples from my life:

I have never had to work hard at getting employed – jobs have just kind of fallen in my lap when I needed them (sound familiar, Adriaan?). I have had part time jobs just crop up when I needed money, and many of the jobs I have had have been from word of mouth, from people just mentioning things when I wasn’t even actively looking. God has always provided for me financially, especially when I needed it most.

Another example is our children. The gap we have between our children was never meant to be that large, but for some reason unknown to medical science, it took a long time for us to be able to have Sebastian. This, however, has worked out for the best, financially and socially for us. The timing could not have been better if we had planned it ourselves. Obviously, our plan was wrong, which was why God took things into his own hands.

The most recent example, which may be familiar to those who read my blog, is the job I am applying for at the moment. I had given up reading the Seek e-mails because I had decided not to apply for any more uni jobs at the moment – I hadn’t read them for a few months, when one day I decided just to have a look, for no particular reason. I found a job that so suited my interests and abilities at the moment that it was almost as if it had been designed for me! Lo and behold, I now have an interview. More evidence that the Designer is at work in my life.

There are too many of these instances for me to count and it would be a far greater stretch of the imagination for me to write these off as chance than to see them as the work of God in my life. My life, itself is clear evidence of design. In many cases, had I got my own way, I would be a lot worse off now than I actually am. I am glad that such a great Designer is shaping my life and not leaving it totally up to me.

1 comment:

Adriaan said...

Nice one, Erika. A very cool first entry onto this blog.

I think someone else famous once said 'The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.' That has largely been my own experience as well.

It IS evidence of design, not just random collections of fortuitous events and circumstances. We look forward to seeing how that design continues to take shape in your life. May we have the wisdom to recognise it for what it is.