Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Every block has its home


I was in Newcastle today for meetings with clients, and happened to find myself in Tyrell St, where I took some time to admire the skill employed in putting together this wall.

Even though the stone is hewn, there's still a really nice balance of small and large, dark and light, coarse and more refined. Every block has its home. Even the cracks in the wall had become a refuge for small plants.

As in my earlier post on 'buckets of solutions', I see in these blocks a parable of everyday life, of the contours of human relationships, of the challenge of people working together, creatively seeking solutions. Sometimes the problems are complex, and sometimes the solutions may even involve 'pieces' that we least suspected would fit well. But we don't know until we try.

And that's the risk with any great enterprise that harnesses the best of each person's unique gifting and creatively; you often won't know whether it will work until you venture out, and bring a few disparate pieces together. Who knows? The end result might even become a haven for some wayward seed which grows into a cool little plant.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I spend too much time trying to change the blocks size

Adriaan said...

It's often the easiest way, isn't it? Far easier to make things fit our way by 'trimming' than by looking for a fit that might be outside our present perspective.

I guess that's why someone invented bricks.